Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Robert Blake is back on the market, ladies!

It is still cold. ASU is on Spring Break and I'm envious of the ones who actually got to go to Florida and enjoy the warm weather. (Not that I would even think about going to FL on Spring Break, I am simply envious that they are able to go outside without wearing a coat right now.)

I haven't written about my grandmother, Bera. Bera is 89 years young and still sharp as a tack. (I would kill someone who put my age on the internet. Good thing Bera doesn't own a computer.) She has her good days and her bad days, health-wise, but if I called her right now she would be able to discuss Scott Peterson's death sentence, or Robert Blake's acquittal with complete lucidity and probably tell me details about those trials that I didn't know. Sadly, there are lots of days when she isn't even able to make her own dinner, because she feels ill or too weak to stand for any length of time. HOWEVER, she will still surprise us all and get in her car and drive herself to the beauty shop, a.k.a. Jonesboro's Premier Gossip Center. Of course, it's a southern female trait to fret over our hair. I know I would crawl on bloody, broken knees to my hairdresser's if I had to when I'm due for a cut. But still, 89? and driving? She is amazing. She has this VCR that has a blinking red light that will not stop blinking no matter what. I've mastered the art of programming a VCR several times, and so have most of my aunts and uncles and cousins. We have ALL tried to stop that damn light from blinking! It is impossible. Clever Bera found some black electrical tape and simply taped over it and now she doesn't have to look at that blinking and be reminded what failures her children and grandchildren are! Aunt Linda and I were talking about this very subject a couple of days ago and she told me that Fred (her brother, my uncle) had finally gotten the red light to stop blinking. I do not believe her. I refuse to believe that and will die thinking that the light never stopped until someone threw the thing in the trash. We all have things to which we must cling. (And I think Linda's making that up anyway.)

A quick hello to my new friend in New Jersey. Hi Rinaldo!

Much love to all,
Vanessa

No comments: