Sunday, March 20, 2005

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Sunday night is my least favorite time of the week. It is, essentially, Monday Eve. There is a completely different feel on Saturday and Sunday that Monday does not posses. Saturday morning is a feeling of freedom: "I have two whole days to play!!" Sunday morning is good, too: "I have all day to play!" But Sunday night is: "Where did the weekend go?"

Angela and I went to see the Traveling Vietnam Wall today. I am trying to download some photos of it right now, but my photo host is being slow, so I'm not sure if the pics are going to come through. If not, I'll retry. If you are in Jonesboro, I hope you were able to see the display. There were items from the war as well as a replica of a small portion of the actual wall in D.C. There was also a Locator Booth, which made me think of all the people who searched for years to try to find information about their children and spouses who were in Vietnam. There were also some photos of people at the actual wall who were touching the names of their loved ones. That's all they have, some of them.

I do not feel one bit funny right now. Everytime I think about that war I get bummed. And, my presentation at the Delta Blues Symposium is about the violent vet in Larry Brown's book about two Vietnam Veterans, Dirty Work. Larry Brown, who died last November, was a Mississippi writer I highly recommend you read.

Okay, time to lighten up a little. Reece just called while he and the family are on their way home from Memphis. They spent the night in Memphis last night and boarded Dooley here at the kennel. Reece was calling to make sure I picked him up by 5:00 today, since he and the family weren't going to make it back to town in time. Reece is seven and extremely concerned about his dog. Dooley is the most hyper pup I've ever seen. He sat in my lap and licked my face on the way to his house and I wondered if we'd make it home alive. First he would lick me, then he would try to crawl up my arm to sit on my shoulder. He is too big for that, so he would slide down and almost fall off my lap into the floorboard. I would grab him and try to move him over to the other seat, and then he would look out that window for a whole two seconds, until he was bored, and then he would remember my face and how good it tasted and we'd start the process over again! I laughed and screamed all the way to Reece's house.

Kisses and hugs and hugs and kisses,
Vanessa

No comments: