Friday, April 01, 2005

It's Friday

Congratulations to Emily for competing in (and surviving) the State Bible Drill last night. For those of you who don’t know anything about it, including me until last night, a Bible Drill competition is amazing to watch. All these cute kids in grade school stand before a panel of judges and have to quote bible scripture upon demand. They also have to be able to search for a particular passage in the bible with only a suggestion as to what the passages refers. AND, this is timed. I think it’s only ten seconds they have to find what they’re looking for before the monitor calls time. I was a nervous wreck watching it. And I felt terribly inadequate compared to those brilliant kids! Emily, you are such an awesome girl. You totally rule!

Before the competition began, the youth minister at the church announced the locations of the restrooms and then she explained that there was only one water fountain in the church, and it was downstairs, take a right, etc. I would never have been able to find it if I’d been dying of thirst. I dismissed the thought of the water fountain just about as soon as she’d mentioned it. About ten minutes into the drill, Reece decided he was thirsty. He asked his mom, Dawn, if he could go get a drink of water. He was dying to see this water fountain. Dawn told him yes, so he took off for parts unknown, only to return in a few minutes. He told him mom that he couldn’t find the water fountain (surprise) and would she please go with him? Of course, Dawn told him no, because she was watching the competition. Reece didn’t like that answer and he hounded her with the old whiney “why not, Mom?” (I know the routine - I used it on my mom at least five hundred thousand times when I was a bratty little brat) until he realized he wasn’t getting anywhere with his mom, so he decided to try another avenue. He snuggled up to me, knowing how much I adore him and want to hug and kiss on him all the time. When he got me all softened up, he asked me if I would take him to the illusive water fountain. Well, I had the nerve to tell him no, too! You should have seen him. He looked at me in shock for about one second and then got up and moved to the other side of his mom, getting as far away from me as he could. Then he looked at me as if saying “I’ll show you, you cruel and heartless person. I’ll simply deny you any more of me!!!” It was all I could do to keep from laughing out loud.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! GO EMILY!