Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Larry Brown

I'm presenting a paper tomorrow afternoon at the Delta Blues Symposium. If you'd like to read about it, go here: http://www.clt.astate.edu/blues/dbsprogr.htm I'm really looking forward to it. My paper, as well as two others on my panel, are about Larry Brown's novel, Dirty Work. I was fortunate enough to meet Larry Brown in the spring of last year. We had a very nice chat and he wrote a sweet passage in his new novel for me. He died on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving last year and every time I think about it I want to cry. I am still feeling the regret that I didn't discover him sooner, and the deep sadness that we have lost a truly great Southern Writer. He has few literary contemporaries who can claim half his talent. I am happy to be able to pay a small tribute to him by reading my paper tomorrow. My panel is at 1:30, the first day of the symposium, so I will be able to enjoy the rest of the weekend listening to others. Wish me luck!

No comments: