Thursday, April 14, 2005

What You Write When You Have A Lot Of Time On Your Hands

I don’t know if I’ve mentioned this before, but I’m not a morning person. Don’t even look at me until I’ve had my coffee. This morning, I had to pick up my friend at 6:00. There’s a 6 in the morning, too? Yes, I didn’t know that either! I thought the world began at 7am and before that it was the night before. Never thought about those hours in between as being anything other than sleep time. So, I pick up my friend and we get to the hospital at 6:20 and we wait. After waiting and waiting, she finally got to go to surgery at 8:45. So, now it’s 9am and I managed to find the coffee and I get to wait some more! I am using this time to write some stuff I’ve been thinking about for a while, but never have time to write.

The TV is on in the waiting room and it’s really annoying me. I would like to go turn it off, but that’s not nice. One of those ignorant morning talk shows is on.

I received my test results from the colon test I had Monday and I passed. I prefer to think of it like a school exam and so I tell myself that I made an "A" and I never have to take that test again. Although everything looked normal, the first line I read on the report stated that I have a redundant colon. What the heck is a redundant colon? I know all about redundancy, but how does that apply to a colon? I asked my boss, supernurse Linda, and she said it meant that it was long and twisty. So why didn’t the report say that it was long and twisty instead of redundant? I guess I have a lot of unnecessary colon all crammed in my gut waiting to fill itself with all sorts of goodies. Ewww. This was a relief, however, to find out nothing was wrong. I just wish I’d known that before I subjected myself to the great colon test on Monday. I am grateful, however, that nothing is wrong and I can get on with my life and not worry about it anymore.

Speaking of redundancy, have you ever noticed how many people repeat themselves? I hear it all the time in conversation. For some reason, most people feel the need to repeat whatever they just said at least one more time. I catch myself doing it and try to stop, but not always with success. I think, "Hmmm, maybe this person is a moron and I need to repeat myself in case he didn’t understand me. Or maybe he wasn’t listening." Now that I’ve said this, try to remember it so you can listen for it the next time someone tells you something. Almost everyone does it.

9:15am - the OR called and my friend is asleep and they’re just getting started.
I played a couple of games of Free Cell, now it’s 9:50 and I’m so sleepy. I’ve seen this nurse walking around and I recognize her. We worked at Dillard’s at the same time, years ago. I sold Lancome and she worked in the office. She kept looking at me as she walked by and I kept avoiding her glances (I thought) because I was (still am) grumpy and didn’t feel like talking to anyone. Finally, she stopped at the corner where I’ve taken over the room, with all my friend’s stuff and my purse and laptop bag, and she said, "I know you from someplace." I looked at her ID and it said Carol. I said, "You’re Carol. I’m Vanessa and we worked at Dillard’s together several years ago." She was impressed that I remembered her name. What can I say, it’s a gift. So, I had to listen to what she had done for the past twelve years and pretend I was interested. I don’t think we said twelve words to each other when we worked in the same place, so why would I care to hear all that stuff now? Why, also, is it that people feel the need to say something to you just because they think they might have known you sometime in the past? Is it just me? Am I just entirely antisocial? I don’t like these types of "reunions" even when I’m wide awake and in a good mood! What’s even worse is when you are with someone and that person runs into an old acquaintance and THEY start rehashing the years gone by. Oh! That is the most boring experience. Next time it happens to me, and it will, I’m going to say, "Hey, neither of you care what’s going on with the other. If you cared, then you’d still be in touch. Why don’t you do yourselves and ME a favor and end this torture right now before I hurt you both?" Yeah, that is exactly what I’m going to say. I just had an idea for a business card. It’ll have my name on it and a little statement like, "I know you don’t care what type of business I’m in, and where I work, and where I live, so I’m not going to tell you. In fact, I know you’re going to throw this card away as soon as my back is turned, so why don’t you just give it back to me and I’ll be on my way, and you can get on with your life." It will be very economical, because I’ll only have to print one card.

Hope your Monday was good, and remember: only four days until Friday.

Love,
Vanessa

4 comments:

Amanda said...

rehashing things that you weren't there for IS boring. i have a short list of to-dos for the day:

1) listen to people repeat themselves

2) avoid people in this small town who might want to make small talk about life since we knew each other

that is pretty depressing. i think i would rather go back to bed.

Unknown said...

Just doing #1 will keep you busy for a long, long while.

Groovy Nutter said...

Well...I had a good chuckle at this post...can u count how many words u used in ur post which had a "colon" related conotation?.... too funny! I too am not a morning person... and I hate, Hate, HATE bumping into people I used to know but never actually befriended...so much so..that I even moved countries! lol

Unknown said...

Thanks again Nes! I am so glad you are healthy and by God, you deserve those gold shoes!