Thursday, May 12, 2005

Here's One For The Books

I was reading Coffee Girl’s blog http://www.coffeegirl13.squarespace.com/ about Elvis and it reminded me of an Elvis story I have. And, every word of this is true, I swear to you on Elvis’s grave. When my mom was 19 or 20, she and her best friend, Ruby, went to Memphis one day to shop and have dinner. We live about an hour’s drive from Memphis. (Southerners judge distance by how long it takes to get there, not by miles!) Anyway, that night, while they were in Memphis, they went to Graceland to stand at the front gates, just like a million other teenagers did in the late 1950's. Elvis was living at Graceland at the time. While Mom and Ruby were standing around with the other fans, a man came from Elvis’s house and approached them. He told them that Elvis loved to go skating and sometimes he would rent one of the local skating rinks after hours so he and his entourage could skate in privacy. Mom and Ruby were nodding their heads and listening and the man asked them, "Would you two young ladies like to accompany Elvis tonight to the skating rink?" Yup, he asked them, and he was one of Elvis’s cronies who found women for him. They were bowled over with surprise. You’ll never believe this next part: they told him NO. They were too chicken. I never let my mom live it down that I could have been Vanessa Marie. Yes, I could have been married to Michael Jackson! Oh, on second thought, thanks, Mom!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy crap, that ROCKS! Everyone knows "Do you wanna go roller skating?" really means "Do you wanna suck face?"

(Sorry Emily. But it's true!)

Unknown said...

Hey, Emily, can you imagine your Mimi sucking face with Elvis? Me neither.

Anonymous said...

my dream of becoming a celebrity would have totally come true, if elvis and mimi like, loved each other. oh well. it probably wasn't meant to be, and come to think of it, i wouldn't be alive to be a celebrity.

Anonymous said...

my dream of becoming a celebrity would have totally come true, if elvis and mimi like, loved each other. oh well. it probably wasn't meant to be, and come to think of it, i wouldn't be alive to be a celebrity.