Sunday, April 30, 2006

Softball Player Turns Debutante


Spring Cotillion was last night and this was my family's contribution to the big party. Not bad, eh? Hard to believe she was, only hours before, covered in mud on a wet, squishy softball field. More fabulous photos of Emily on my Flickr, so go take a look.

Funny story: Emily called me Friday afternoon, while I was at work, and she said she had good news. She'd broken up with Matt (her first boyfriend.) I asked her why it was good, and she said she'd found out that he had been lying to her. He'd been telling some other sixth-graders that he was going to break up with her, and she had been hearing these rumors. She said that Matt denied this, of course, but she said, "I decided to beat him to the punch, so I broke it off with him." Thirty minutes later, cute-guy Wes asked her out. She told him to give her a week, then she'd be his girlfriend. She told me that she really needed a week off from having a boyfriend. Lesson to all men: do not mess with Merrell women. We don't need you. You're just toys to us and if you don't behave yourselves, we'll replace you so quickly your heads will spin. We'll need a week off, of course, but then we'll be back with full force!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That girl is gorgeous!!

Crazy MomCat said...

Awww...she looks just lovely!

And, kudos to you Auntie...because you have obviously helped teach Emily to be a woman in control of her relationships...that's a lesson that will help her so much as she grows up. And, it's so good that she recognized she wanted a week "off" too. She sounds so grounded and secure in herself. Hmmm...too bad she doesn't live close to me. I'd ask her to be my babysitter. HA!

Anonymous said...

Emily rocks!
and God she's STUNNING!

Anonymous said...

she is beautiful!

I love the "week off." So true. She doesn't need to put up with any crap.

Amanda said...

wow! HOW old is she again???

Suburban Turmoil said...

Is that my little Emily?! Wow! Gorgeous! No wonder she's got all the boyfriends!

Anonymous said...

Ravishing! Is she 12? Because she looks A LOT OLDER.