Saturday, August 12, 2006

Trying To Get Back To Normal

Finally got my internet connected at 7:30 last night. I waited all day and called them to make sure Cable Guy was coming, and finally he showed up. I was telling Auntie Linda about it today and I told her that I was so happy to see him, I could have kissed him on the mouth and she said it’s a good thing I didn’t say that to him or I never would have gotten him to even walk into my apartment. She’s getting funnier in my absence, huh? I was about to die without the internet. I hadn’t read a blog since last Friday! What are all my blogging buddies up to?

The move was dreadfully hot. It was about a hundred degrees here last Saturday, and we were hauling furniture and boxes and about to pass out with every step, but somehow we managed to get it all done. Auntie Linda and I drove up here together, with my mom in her SUV, and David driving a truck pulling the trailer. Linda and I took a wrong turn, or, actually missed the correct turn and drove almost two hours out of the way before we realized what we had done. We are idiots. Panic set in and we drove like maniacs to get here, leaving David and my mom alone to begin the unloading. I felt like a dog for that and apologized a hundred times, and they were quite forgiving, but I still feel terrible about it all. After we got everything moved in, David put some furniture together for me (thanks, Dave!!) and then he took off for home, driving the truck and pulling the empty trailer. I tried to get him to spend to night here, but he needed to get back home, so he left, not arriving home until sometime after midnight. Bless his heart. I still haven’t figured out what to do for him as a show of my gratitude, but will definitely think of something good. We continued to work like dogs for the rest of the day, and poor Mom and Linda were as exhausted as I was. They were really the worker bees, though, and helped me significantly with the unpacking. I don’t know how to thank them enough. I also should thank my brother, Don, for helping me load the moving trailer the day before the move. He and Mom and I worked on that all Friday morning and that wasn’t fun, either. Thanks also to Uncle Fred for the truck and Uncle Geno for the trailer. You guys saved me some serious bucks by not having to rent a Uhaul.

Mom and Auntie Linda stayed with me until Sunday after lunchtime, and then I was alone! What was I thinking, wanting to move away from all of them, I thought? It took me a few days to recover from the shock, but I’m okay now.

I had a job interview Wednesday and I have another one Monday. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Meanwhile, I’m still unpacking boxes and taking little jaunts around town, trying to find my way around, but it’s not that difficult. I’m about a fifteen-minute drive from campus. This is really a pretty town, and it has a small-town feel to it, although it’s twice as large as what I’m used to. I’ll take some pictures soon.

That’s about it regarding the move and everything else up to this point. I think Abby and I are about to take a walk. She’s enjoying getting to know the other dogs in the apartment complex and all the kids around here already know her and speak to her every time we go out. She loves that. And, I love you guys and will check in soon!


Miz S said...

It sounds really great! Well, except for the packing hassle and the getting lost and the unpacking hassle and the lack of internet. Glad you're hooked up and settling in, Miss Vanessa. Pictures, please.

Amanda Sue said...

glad you are getting settled. i know it will be so hard to be away from your family, so hurry and make some friends there!

Tea said...

Thanks for your comment on Tea & Cookies. Good luck with the unpacking, I hope you enjoy settling in.

(Auntie) Tea

Suburban Turmoil said...

So glad you're all moved in AND you have Internet. It must be a relief.

Irene said...

I moved in 15 days ago and I STILL DON'T HAVE INTERNET.


it is torture.

glad that you're settling in. can't wait to see pictures!

Crazy MomCat said...

I'm so glad you're getting all moved in there. One of my best friends just decided to move away from everyone recently too and I have to say I really admire that. I'm sure you will love your new surroundings before you know it!

Angela in Europe said...

Oh congratulations. I know it must be hard to move and not really move far. I think it would be harder to move just a few hours away than 10 hours away! Hope you love the town.

CouSin said...

Glad you made it to Mizzou safely, if not promptly. (Never let Mom navigate any of your trips.)