Tuesday, May 16, 2006

A Couple of Drops of Brain Matter

If you ever call me at night, after I've been home for more than thirty minutes, and you want me to go someplace with you, the first question you need to ask is, "Do you still have on your bra?" Once that baby's in the clothes hamper, I'm not sticking my big toe out of the front door.

I have this really good idea for a short story and I've been outlining it for several days. I got the idea from watching a "South Park" episode. It's about a road trip, so in order to write it, I need an Atlas, and I can't find mine, which means I need to go to the store and get a new one, but, alas, the bra is no longer on, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

*****

Last week, when I had dinner with my fabulously funny cousins, we were drinking margaritas and talking about drinking. We all said that we loved gin and tonics, but we wanted our martinis made with vodka. And we liked them very dry. I said I had gotten lazy and usually just drank the vodka straight, since it was easier than pretending to add vermouth to the mix. Then Janet said, "just waive the vermouth fumes over the glass and it's dry enough for me." We all laughed at that one. THEN Lisa said, "just bring the bottle [of vermouth] in the room, and that'll be good enough for me." I adore my cousins.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Y'all are in good company. The story goes that Winston Churchill made his martinis by glancing at the vermouth while pouring the gin.

And I know how you like your Brits... :)

Anonymous said...

I take off my bra as soon as I get home too!

Unknown said...

Did you ever have a martini in France? They are sweet! I swear the French muck up everything.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Mizter S is very fond of his vodka martinis. I understand he makes a very good martini, but I don't drink them so I can't tell.

The Library Lady said...

I hear you on the bra. Why oh why was I so upset when I was flatchested and didn't need one in junior high? If I'd only KNOWN...